Friday, November 9, 2007

The elusive "great" photo

Photographers make it look so easy to get a great photo of a baby; its not!! Of course, Cam is learning to become a more cooperative subject: he used to hate the flash but he's better about it now.

Back in art school I was so busy taking all the required classes for my graphic design degree I didn't take any of the "fun" classes, like glass-blowing, jewelry making or photography - I figured there was plenty of time for that once I had my degree. Ha! So now I'm wishing I'd taken at least one photography class so that I could set up shots better.

Anyway, this is the latest in the quest for the adorable baby picture :) His hair doesn't look this red in person, but his cheeks really are this chubby. The darling little outfit is from his Grammie on the east coast. Oh, and he really does have a back and legs; we were just trying to get all the backgound ickiness out of there with his white blankie :) And he's doing so great holding up his head from his tummy these days!!

Sigh; we're getting there! One of these days....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The kid has no lower body!

Anonymous said...

Cameron has the face of "Yo! What's up?" It's absolutely precious! And of course he has a lower body!!! I am with you Michelle on taking better pics, but after years of experience, I have found that the "surprise" pics are always the best ones :) But have fun with your little man! He won't be little forever :(

The Grant Family said...

Michelle and Kevin - you were saying you find it difficult to get good shots. Have you tried not using flash? If you can hike up the ISO a little bit, use natural light from the window or a lamp (Auto white balance will eliminate the colour cast). You get much better modeling on your subject than using flash. Typically photographers only use on camera flash to eliminate shadows outside, or inside if it is just too dark! Try taking one shot after another - one with flash and one without, and I think you'll be amazed at the difference!